Twitter Facebook email

Frequently Asked Questions:

Where should the placard be displayed?

The placard must be displayed in clear view hanging from the rear view mirror of the vehicle or placed on the dashboard of the vehicle. It must be displayed in a manner that the permit number and expiration date are facing up and clearly visible through the front windshield of the vehicle.

What parking privileges are granted to a vehicle displaying a person with disabilities placard?

When the vehicle is used to transport the disabled person that the placard is issued to it may be parked in any area designated as a “handicapped parking” or persons with disabilities parking. Under the above conditions, the vehicle is exempt from payment of parking meter fees and from any state or local time limits (i.e. one hour parking, two-hour parking) on parking, except for those parking meters or time limits of one-half hour or less.

A person with disabilities parking placard does not allow a vehicle to park where parking is prohibited (i.e. no parking fire lane, no parking anytime, no parking 2am-6am).

How long is the temporary placard good for?

The temporary person with disabilities placard issued by the Village of Oswego is good for a maximum of 90 days from the date of issuance. It may be renewed for additional periods of 90 days each; however, it is limited to a maximum of three renewals after the initial issuance. Expired placards must be returned to receive a renewal. If the disability extends longer than 360 days, you will be referred to the Illinois Secretary of State Office for application for another temporary placard or for a permanent placard or plate.

Each Village of Oswego renewal will require a new application to be completed including a new physician’s certification and processing fee.

If you believe, your disability will last longer than 360 days you should apply to the State of Illinois for a state issued placard or plates.

Is this temporary placard good in other communities outside of Oswego?

Yes, the person with disabilities placard is valid and should be honored by all local authorities and all 50 states.

What do I do if I lose my placard or it is stolen?

If it is lost, you will need to complete a lost property report with the Oswego Police Department. If it is stolen, you will need to complete a police report with the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction in the location where it was stolen. You will not be charged an administrative fee for stolen placards. Upon providing proof of the above report(s), you will be issued a new temporary placard, which will be good until the expiration date that was given on the lost or stolen placard.

What happens if I recover from my disability faster than expected?

Once you no longer meet the definition as provided in 625 ILCS 5/1-159.1 your temporary disability placard becomes void. The placard should be returned to the Oswego Police Department at that time.

Where can I get more information?

You may visit the Oswego Police Department web site at where forms are available to download or contact the Oswego Police Department at 630-551-7300.