Citizens may obtain crash reports from LexisNexis over the internet, or visit the police station to request a copy in person if they wish.
What is LexisNexis?
LexisNexis is an Internet based application that was developed to help parties involved in crashes, law enforcement agencies and insurance companies access reports in a more efficient manner. Now you can access your reports over the internet. Print out a free driver’s exchange or create an account and purchase the full report. Please follow the instructions below:
Step 1 - To obtain a copy of your crash report online:
- Go to http://policereports.lexisnexis.com.
- Select the "search" button.
- Input the crash data for the report that you are searching for and click the "search" button.
- If a report is found, select the "add to cart" link.
- Login or create an account.
- If a drivers Exchange report is available, a Free Drivers Exchange link will be shown. Select the "add to cart" link.
- The user should enter the data requested on the Verification Page and select Submit. The Date of Birth is required for an involved party to get a free Drivers Exchange report. The Drivers Exchange report will be added to your shopping cart.
- Select the "View Cart" button. Review your order and select the "checkout" button.
- Provide your reference number and billing information if applicable, and select "continue."
- Select the "purchase and download report" button.
- Select "view report" and the Drivers Exchange Report will open as a PDF in a new window.
For customer assistance, please call the LexisNexis support line at (886) 215-2771
Step 2 - Duty to report accident (625 ILCS 5/11-406)
please visit http://motoristreport.illinois.gov/